11 March 2008

Pop & Soda Admin

Okay, several things!

A) Thanks for all the awesome suggestions of blogs and websites to look at. I've checked out every one, I think, and already have some new faves. Favorite blog -name- so far 'she just walks around with it' . LOVE IT!

B) My internet friend Chickenbells commented that I looked 'thin' in the 'bed of nails' picture. I love her now. Go read her blog and give her lots of love!

C) Laz, Julie and others, I'm so glad that you 'got' the card from Waffles and Smeagol (Paul) and understood how it totally helped. Paul was embarrassed when I put that up (of course, I TOLD him I put it up because he doesn't READ my blog) cause he thought it was silly but I'm glad you guys understood how it was absolutely perfect.

D) My previous post about "In My Mind" was perhaps poorly written. It wasn't meant to be a vent session but more a question; how do you focus on your accomplishments and not on the things that you can't or haven't yet accomplished. And how do you 'think globally' when your own world seems so very small. Thanks for the comments and emails, you guys always rock.

E) In answer to email questions - I am looking for work but haven't had much success yet. I'm really hopeful about a part-time job at a women's shelter (money and helping people all in one place) that I should hear about within the next week. I applied for what I thought was a decent job yesterday but then found out it was commission based. Beggars can't be choosers but I'm not sure if I could function knowing that I was making only commission. Plus further research revealed that it was a collection agency. Blech. But we'll see. I've also applied for numerous retail jobs but no word on any of those yet. I find that people her are VERY local-centric and I think that my resume filled with jobs at companies that these people have never heard of in a city that these people have never heard of is probably off-putting. But, maybe I'm making excuses for myself since I'm frustrated that none of them have called me back.

F) I have always wanted to volunteer but up until last Thursday I didn't have the car to do it (we went down to Atlanta to pick up the car) so now I'm seriously considering it. I found a website that shows you all the volunteer positions near you and there are actually very few in our town. There are lots of nearby towns though which I'll look into next. The other day we drove through a town about 10 miles away and they had a huge animal shelter so it just occurred to me as I'm writing this that that would be a good place to try.

Thanks dear readers!

5 comments:

the girl said...

speaking from experience...animal shelters are hard to deal with. well, it was for me, anyway, and I even worked at a no-kill, extremely selective adoption place. i would get furious at people who would abandon their pets, people who wanted a certain dog because he looked "hardcore", and people who wanted cute things to give to their kids. Folks were put through a very thorough screening, and the rejected ones would get so mad (um, if you tell us that the dog will be alone all weekend, every weekend, we're probably not going to let you have one)and I got to show them the door, knowing that they were going to go the County Shelter and grab a dog there and that it would have a life on a chain outside. It broke my heart on a weekly basis.

BUT---some people really have a heart for it. Just not me.

I'm glad things are looking up, lady...something good will come your way. He who begins a good work....

Anonymous said...

I know when I moved down to VA, it took awhile to get any response from job applications. But when I was looking for a new job after I had one here for a few months, suddenly I got called in for more interviews. So yes, I think if your resume has no place local on it, a lot of companies are wary. Maybe because it's harder to verify what's truthful on it or not. Or maybe it's a Southern thing.

Chickenbells said...

Well...all the love right back at ya! And honestly, you should give yourself a big squeeze, because you DID look thin (and we must commend ourselves when such things happen)

Good luck with the job hunt...be persistent and don't loose hope..someone will "take a chance" on you soon, and be deliriously happy that they did!!

Jennifer Lavin said...

Good point about the animal shelters, girl. That might kill me. Animal suffering makes me cry more than almost anything else.

Thanks, yankee sheep, I think you are right about that. I guess I can't blame companies for that kind of discrimination - if they have 10 equally qualified candidates, why would they want to go to the extra work and cost of calling out-of-country references?

Hopefully, someone will just take a chance on me, especially since the job at the women's shelter is not going to happen. They didn't have the money in the budget after all to hire anyone else...but when they do I'm at the top of the list, apparently.

the girl said...

Hey, does TN have a state-run jobsite like Ohio does? I think it's this one:

https://ecmats.state.tn.us/eCMATS/

Check them out...